Fear of the future

There is a saying I have heard that what you resist persists. For me, lately, I have been worrying about the future. The uncertainty of what may be is overwhelming at times. In the past, when I worried about the future, they were foreseeable worries. But now? A pandemic? Really? In my worries about the future, that  wasn't even in the top 1000. And yet, here we are.

I heard Deepak Chopra say on a podcast just this past weekend that the present is the only moment that we have. Echkart Tolle said the same thing in a podcast I listened to last month. The sentiment resonated with me each time I heard it. I wrote  it down both times, and yet my tendency to worry about the future remained.

So maybe that's what has to happen: to be reminded over and over and over again to live in the present. That the moment we have right now is all we are guaranteed and only real truth we can know. Being present, being here, living consciously, immersing ourselves in what we have right now, that's the key to assuaging so many of our concerns. I resist it and then I am again reminded to come back to now. And maybe, this is a reminder for you as well. We cannot know or even fathom what the future may hold, we have all learned that recently. So just be here now, because in the end, that's really all we ever have.

Lesson learned. (Or maybe, lesson learned, again....)
- a

Comments