I'm a worrier

I'm a worrier by nature. I worry about what might happen, what could happen, what should happen. It's probably why I'm a good attorney: worrying about possibilities and working to account for them in the future. But being a worrier in my personal life can be exhausting. And more importantly, being a worrier takes my focus off of where it should be, here, in the present moment. 

Worrying about the future means we're focused not on what's in front of us and what's happening to us. It robs us of feeling all there is to feel right now, today, and replaces it with a knot in our stomach. It takes away joy and delight, and fills in the void with dread and uncertainty. It's unproductive, this worrying, and it's destructive. 

In the worrying about what may happen, we are not living in what is happening. We are putting our future, or what could be our future, ahead of our life today. And knowing that you can never predict the future, and knowing that everything will work out the way it should, means that we should put worry in it's place: out of sight and out of our minds. It may be easier to say than to implement, but I am going to try. Because understanding that we don't know how many todays we may have, means relishing what we have, and not throwing them away to what we don't even know for sure. 

- a 

Comments