Getting married

My good friend Mary is getting married to her true love JD. It's not her first time, it's not his, but they found each other, fell madly in love and he loves her for who she is and she loves him for who he is. They are not perfect (no one is) but they are perfect for each other.

She gives me hope. She gives me hope that true love is out there if you are willing to take a chance to find it. She gives me hope that there is someone out there who will take me for who I am and not ask me to change, not ask me to do anything but love him for who he is and not ask him to change. There is someone out there who will love each of us totally and completely, without question. First you have to love yourself, sure, and that's not always easy to do. (Honestly, if I can finally find a way to love my belly, I will dance a jig naked in Times Square. Ok, I really won't do that but I'll be pretty psyched.) And sometimes we think that because we're not in love, we must be doing something wrong. But I don't think so. I think we must be doing something right. My aunt tells me I'm too picky in who I date- but shouldn't we be picky? Shouldn't we be picky about spending our precious time with someone? Shouldn't we be picky about wanting to date not just for the sake of dating, but because we could meet a great friend, a great partner, a great love?

Yes. We should be picky. Because somewhere, there is someone who will love us. All of us and each of us. Belly or not. Kids or not. Hair or not. Previously married or not. We will find someone. We will fall in love with the right person. And we will be happy. Just like my friend Mary.

This is the life.
- a

Comments