Don't let the turkeys get you down

My mom had a notepad in our kitchen with a gaggle of turkeys on it and it said "Don't let the turkeys get you down." I'm going to remember that today.

Today I'm going to remember that I am grateful for my job, I am grateful for my children, I am grateful for my family and I am grateful for my friends. I have my health, I have rockin' good hair, I can laugh at myself, I can find joy in the little things, I can choose to look at what's right in my life and not at what's wrong.

There are people in my life who only want to question everything I do. There are people in my life who challenge me and disagree with me and refuse to look at things my way. There are people who push my buttons and push my limits and push my Aries-headstrong-quick-tempered-nature to its fullest. Today I will thank them for helping make me a better person. Today when my buttons are pushed and my limits are tested, I will take a moment. I will think before I speak. (No really, I will.) I will try to see these limit-testers as my teachers and I will try (even through gritted teeth) to see them as a friend and not a foe.

It will not be easy. It will not always work. I will not always hold my tongue. I will still be true to myself and my nature and I will speak up for those who need a voice and I will stand up for my convictions, but I will also pick my battles. I will think of my mom and all that she went through and I will realize that life is too short to get worked up over every little thing. I will be myself but I will also not limit myself to my past actions. I will be grateful for today... even if today teaches me what I need to work on tomorrow.

After all, this is the life.

- a

Comments

Post a Comment