Life is for the living

I was thinking about this saying the other day. It seems to me this can be read 2 ways: 1) life is for those people who are living and not dead (to help those move on with their life after the loss of a loved one) and 2) it's the living life each day to the fullest that makes it all worth it.

Maybe it's the fact that I just had a birthday, maybe it's because I'm introspective by nature (and yet, I'm a classic extrovert- think about that one for a while. Maybe that means I'm most comfortable thinking about myself while surrounded by a large group of people. But I digress...) but I have to think that there is more to life than just moving from one day to the next without doing some serious questioning about WHY WE ARE HERE and WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LEARN WHILE WE ARE HERE.

I think that each day brings us challenges to help us confront the demons and struggles that we need to overcome in life. One of mine is focusing on what's right in my life and not what's wrong. I wish I could say I came up with that idea, but I have to give credit to Debbie Ford, author of "The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions to Guide You to an Extraordinary Life". One of the things she asks is whether you are only focusing on what is wrong in your life, on what is missing. It is not easy to do, to turn that practice around, to be grateful when things are not going your way, to be happy when things don't turn out as you want. It's not easy, but it's worth it to start down that path.

It's worth it to start thinking of your life in terms of what you have to do to "live" it fully. It's worth it to start, today, thinking of what you can do to live more expansively, to fill your life more with gratitude, to focus on all of the good things that are happening and all of the good things that are going to come. It's worth it to start today and ask yourself if you are really living your life and not just going through the motions. Embrace today. Embrace the challenges it has to offer. Embrace the goodness that is present. Let go of the past. Let go of the pain that is holding you back. Let go of the fear that keeps you from deliciously, voraciously devouring all that life has to give you. All the good and all the bad and all of it. ALL OF IT. It's all worth it in the end; to have a life truly lived, actively engaged.

This is the life.

-a

Comments