Reminiscing

I was talking to a friend the other day- we have reconnected after more than a decade- and we started talking about how our friendship ended so long ago. I hadn't thought about the specifics of why we were no longer friends until our conversation, and it got me thinking.

In so many ways, talking to a friend who meant so much so long ago is a brilliant reminder of the deep friendship we had. Picking up the phone as if no time has passed at all is an amazing event, and yet... so much time has passed. Since we last spoke we have grown immensely. We have become adults. We have experienced life and all its glory and its disappointments. We have moved and learned and loved and sang and danced and laughed until we cried and cried until we screamed and gnashed our teeth and pounded our fists. Our chests have been crushed with sorrow and our hearts have been so full they could burst and our faces have been contorted and wrinkled with the great highs and terrible lows that we have lived. But we have lived. And we have come back together. And we can be friends, but not as we were, as we are now. We can be friends who still learn from each other, and we can be friends who are anchored by a shared past, and we can be friends whose lives have been lived and who have returned to tell the tale.

I am so grateful for this reunion but I am also anxious and wondrous and thrilled and fearful. I welcome my friend back into my life with open arms and an open heart. I welcome my friend back into my life as he is now with no question. I welcome my friend into my life with arms wide open - acknowledging the past and looking toward the future.

This is the life.

- a

Comments