Let the rain come down

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." I heard this from a friend the other day and it reminded me that all of our searching for happiness may be a shorter search than we once thought. Sometimes I think it's about how we look at what's happening in our lives rather than trying to change what's happening in our lives. No, things are not always happy and light; yes, there will be tragedies and difficulties for us to overcome, but if it were not for the sadness, the joy we feel would not be as strong.

There are times in my life when things seems to be going in the wrong direction or seem not to be moving at all. It's frustrating for me to feel like I can't control what's going on in my life. It's aggravating for me to think that I am at the mercy of the Fates. And yet, the one thing I can control is how I view what's going on. I am not always happy and things do not always go my way, but in time, and with a little perspective, I can usually see that while things may have been difficult, they were also rewarding.

It helps me to understand that the good times in my life would not be so appreciated by me if it were not for the difficulties that I have experienced. Going through the death of a parent or a divorce allows you to empathize with someone going through the same ordeal. Being able to sit with someone, just sit with them, to hold their hand and listen, to allow them to feel that they are not alone, to give the gift of silence and compassion- none of these are possible without us having faced challenges in our own lives. No, life is not always easy, but would we really want it to be? Would we really want to look at our lives from such a shallow depth that we were unable to fully immerse ourselves in all life has to offer? Would we be the person we are today without having struggled, without having triumphed, without having wallowed and danced and cried? Would we be all that we are without having taken on that which we doubted we could conquer, falling along the way and starting all over again? Would we want to have lived a life without worry and heartache, without ecstasy and elation?

Our lives would have not been as full if not for the missteps along the way. Yes, storms will come and yes we may fall to our knees, but hopefully we will then look up, we will feel the rain on our face and we will be grateful for the downpour. Hopefully we will understand that without the rain in our lives, we would not so much appreciate the sunshine. Hopefully we will learn that "life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

After all, this is the life.
- a

Comments