My wish

I was talking to a friend the other day who was saying how grateful she was to have found her boyfriend. That even though they had no money and only one car and a beat-up roof over their head, they were happy to be together. Finally. And it made me think about all of us searching for love. All of us in a relationship that isn't working, or between relationships wondering if a great one will ever come along. It made me think of a conversation I had last week, questioning whether we only get one chance to choose our first love and if we choose wrong we may forever lead ourselves down the wrong path.

I hope that's not true. I believe in my heart that we can choose wrong once and get to choose again. In fact, I believe we get to choose wrong over and over and over again until we get it right. Because each wrong choice we make shows us what we are looking for, and what we are not. Each person we encounter and fall in love with, each person we embrace and fall in like with, each person who we look at with hopeful and cautious eyes is here to teach us. We want someone experienced but not jaded. We want someone who is successful by their own measure. We want someone who is kind but strong. We want someone who challenges us without berating us. We want someone to appreciate us first thing in the morning, and right before bed, and all the stops in between. We want someone who looks at us with adoring eyes, who sees our faults and our flaws and loves both because of and in spite of it all. We want someone who sees us the way we want to see ourselves, who accepts us today and will be with us into tomorrow. We want someone who will love us just as much as we love them.

So here is my hope for all of us searching, for all of us working and hoping and praying, for all of us crossing our fingers and crossing off lists, for all of us looking for the answer. I wish that love comes to us and stays with us but that if it does not, we do not break. I wish that love walks through our door, that love stays in our hearts, that we know enough to let love go and that we are brave enough to let love stay. I wish for all of us a love that takes our breath away and keeps us steady. I wish for all of us that we find a love that we deserve and that deserves us back.

After all, this is the life.
- a

Comments