New Beginnings

It's funny to title a blog post "new beginnings" and then not know exactly where to begin. I guess I'll start by saying this: when we focus on the end of something, we often forget that, right around the corner, lies a new beginning. We get so focused on what we've lost that our eyes can't seem to adjust from the darkness of the past, to the light of possibilities that lie before us.

I was reminded of that this past week. As a divorce attorney it is my role to help bring an end to a marriage. And while many think this line of work is destructive and sad, I try to look at it with some hope and optimism. I think that none of us deserve to be in a loveless marriage. I believe that it is in all of our best interests to think of our own happiness and take those steps that will make our lives better. For many people, that decision leads to divorce.

The funny thing about that decision is that it can show how hope can carry us through. And it's not just for the person initiating the divorce, it's for the other spouse as well. It may not seem possible to be hopeful when your spouse tells you he or she wants a divorce, but I promise you that you will see better days. Because somewhere down the road you will understand that you don't want to stay married to someone who doesn't love you the way you deserve to be loved. We all deserve to be adored and cherished. We all deserve to be with someone who looks at us as we want to be seen. We all deserve to be with a person who brings out the best in us, who loves us unbelievably, who loves us because of and in spite of our flaws.

So what happened this week? A former client told me she is engaged. After the dust settled and her heartbreak dissolved, she took a chance and took a leap and fell in love. It is those small miracles that give me hope- for myself, for my clients, for us all. Knowing that love is out there for us, if we just hold out, if we just hold on for love to find us and for us to be willing and able to accept it.

After all, this is the life.
-a

Comments