Too much talk

I like to talk about things. I talk for a living: I give people advice, I argue my points, I teach and I cajole, I argue and I instruct. But there are times in my life when maybe talking is the wrong approach. Maybe it's true that actions are louder than words and maybe, in some cases, I should let my actions speak and keep my words silent.

I think there are times when I want to do more than just do something-  I want to explain myself and my actions,  I want to discuss my feelings and my emotions, I want to discuss my thought process and how I got to where I am. But perhaps there are times when the best thing to do is to keep quiet and just do. Just act as I should act, act as I want to act, act as I want to be seen and perceived. Maybe I should just do what I feel and do what I think is right and do what is in my best interest and in the best interest of my family. Maybe I should stop worrying so much about how others will perceive me or understand me and instead just be who I am and let others do the same?

Because maybe if we talked less and accepted more, maybe if we judged less and acted kindly more, maybe if we gave ourselves a break and gave others the same latitude, maybe then we wouldn't need to explain anything and things would just work out in the end? Sometimes we think we need to tell others what we're going to do or what we're thinking of doing when what we really should do is just close our mouths and do:  acting the way we want and acting the way we should, acting in a manner that is becoming to us and toward others. Perhaps acting and doing and moving and shaking rather than talking and thinking and wishing and hoping will be just what we need to get us where we want to go. Perhaps the best thing we can do is to stop talking and start doing, so that in the end our actions will have spoken what our words could only hope to transmit.

This is the life. 
-a

Comments

Post a Comment