That's the story of, that's the glory of love

“You’ve got to give a little, take a little, and let your poor heart break a little, that’s the story of, that's the glory of love.”

I love the movie “Beaches”. It reminds me of my mom. It reminds me of the beach when I was a child. It reminds me that we have people we love who come in and out of our lives, but when we love someone –as a friend or more so- it’s ok to feel a little heartbreak as the time goes on and your life changes with it. We can be heartbroken because love is gone or we can be heartbroken that things don’t turn out exactly as we want, but through all of that heartbreak we can know one thing for sure: it was worth it in the end to open ourselves up.

There are times in my life when I have been so disappointed in life or in the way things turn out that I just can’t seem to look up, when I am dismayed, when I am distraught, when I shake my fist at Fate and wonder why this and why me? But there is another truth at work as well, because through it all, I remain optimistic, I remain open, I remain a person who believes in love, I remain a person who believes that in the end I will understand the reason why. And offering your heart and offering your hand and offering to let someone in just can’t be wrong- no matter how the ending turns out, no matter how turbulent the seas along the way.

I am reminded by my friends (in real life or virtual) that life is for the living, without regret, with reckless abandon. To reach out despite our fear of rejection, to reach up for something bigger than ourselves. So when I’m feeling forlorn I remember the words of the “Beaches” song, that the story of love is in receiving love, that the story of love is in exuding love, that the glory of love is in the feeling of love, that the glory of love is the being in love for however long it lasts, for however long it can.

After all, this is the life. Love, a

Comments