New years' resolution

So I've decided this year that my New Years' resolution is to choose me. To put myself first, to put my feelings first, to take action and make choices that help me be a better me in the end. You may think this is selfish, but aren't we reminded every time we fly on a plane to: put on your mask first and then assist others? Because when we decide that we come last, that everyone else's needs come before our own, we are saying that we don't matter, that we will get around to us eventually, that we will put our stock in everyone else before putting stock in ourselves.

I don't think it's selfish to put yourself first, I think it's selfless. When you take care of yourself first you are in a better position to help others along the way. The more we take care of ourselves, the more we are available to others in a more true and honest way. The better we feel about us, the better we can project our contentment outwards, and that can't do anything but assist those in our vicinity to feel better as well.

Thinking of ourselves, taking care of our needs, communicating what we want, describing how we feel, helps others understand that we are coming from a centered place, a solid place  rooted by our own beliefs and emotions. Coming from that place, describing what we are feeling and what we want to do and accomplish, sets a tone of delicious groundedness, that just as we can be truly ourselves, so others can be truly themselves with us.

Choosing me means choosing to be authentic and open. It means what you see is what you get without any gamesmanship or subterfuge. It means I honor who I am and honor you in coming to you from that place. Choosing me means that this year, I will see what the world has to offer when I come to address it from where I am today.

After all, this is the life.
-a

Comments

  1. I feel the high step in your great attitude. My best wishes for happiness in the new year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment