Remover of obstacles

I got an amazing gift the other day- a friend sent me a statue of Ganesh, the Hindu God, the "Remover of Obstacles". The gift was not just thoughtful because I had seen the statute months ago and adored it from afar, but because Ganesh represents what I am trying to do this year in my life- handle the obstacles that have been put in front of me, not by rejecting them, but by embracing the challenge they bring to my life.

It's easy to get caught up in things not working out. It's easy to bemoan that which has fallen into our laps, to complain about the state of our lives and where it's not working, to become aggravated at the time it is taking us to get where we want to go. It's harder to keep moving despite what may try to stop us in our path, to plug along and try to make sense of why things happen, to work with the difficulty rather than ignoring it.

So this year I will look to remove obstacles in my path by standing up to them and looking them in the eye. To determine whether it's best to tackle straight on or choose a more lenient path. This year I will not listen to the voice that says it's easier to sit and gripe than to do and hope. This year I hope to understand that each obstacle is a challenge that is brought to us to allow us to find that we are stronger than we thought, that we can take on more than we imagined. This year I hope to believe that the obstacles placed in our way make us choose again and again the path that we are on, or choose to turn in a different direction. This year I hope to appreciate that we have choices to make and that the difficulties we face provide us options that we didn't know we had, so it's up to us to figure out our way to handle that which is put in our way.

This is the life.
-a


Comments