Crutches

Sometimes it's easier to leave if you continue holding on to something or someone back home. But in the end, it's not really living your life away- it's keeping you tethered to where you were. Which is not to say you have to cut all ties, and it's not to say that you can't touch base, and it's not to say you can visit or spend time; but at some point you have to decide where you want to be and who you want to be. On your own. By yourself. 

You have to decide to leave, you have to decide to start anew. You have to decide that leaving is the right decision, that trying something new is the right thing to do. You have to decide to experience the choice you made- for what it has that is good, for what it has that is not. But it's in the experience that you find the answer, not in the looking back. 

And after time, maybe you'll find it's better someplace new; or maybe you'll find that where you came from is where you want to be. But whatever you decide, you can't know it until you live it. You can't keep one foot in each life. You can't keep one hand reaching back.You have to forge ahead. You have to keep moving along. You have to keep deciding each day where it is you want to be, and where it is you are headed tomorrow. 

After all, this is the life. 
-a

Comments

  1. Excellent advice, but it takes many folks years to be brave enough to step BOTH feet out of their comfort zone. Keep encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM my past, my present and my future. I cherish all of them. I am surrounded, not tethered. Sometimes you have to look back to move forward. I am part of the circle of my family and friends my past, my present, and future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment