Choosing the uncertain path

I remember about this time, 4 years ago, when I was trying to figure  out the next step in my career. I was at a crossroads and I could have either stayed where I was and been comfortable but unmotivated, or I could venture out to something new where my future was both uncertain but full of potential. The new venture held no promises except for something different, something challenging, and something possibly life-changing. I was used to comfortable, I was used to certainty, but I felt restless and unfocused. I chose to try something new. I chose to leave my old firm and join my current firm. I chose possibility over sameness. I chose hope.

Choosing the uncertain path was scary but worth it, because believing that something greater or better may be out there is energizing and exciting. And choosing to leave a job where you are comfortable but not passionate is, I think, much the same as deciding whether to leave a marriage that is constant but unfulfilling. Being scared about leaving is not a reason to stay, in a marriage or in a job. Because our life has to be about more than just sticking it out, our life has to be what we make of it each day.

That’s not to say that there aren't times when we question whether we made the right decision, but I think in time, the truth will be revealed: that choosing to embrace life and its challenges is better than just going through our days without thought or feeling. It can’t be that we have to just grin and bear it, it has to be that we are working toward something we believe in. Whether it’s working for a better life for our families, or choosing the possibility of love over the certainty of unhappiness, sometimes leaving our comfort zone leads us to greatness. I am grateful each day that I chose to move forward despite being afraid, because I am surrounded in my job by those I admire and respect, and I am challenged each day to help those in need of a strong shoulder to help lessen their burden. It was not an easy decision, but it was the right one.

Lesson learned.
-a

Comments