Mile markers

There are moments throughout the year that are life's mile markers for me: days that cause me to stop and reflect on what has happened in the past year, and think about what may happen in the year to come. My birthday. The Jewish New Year. New Years' Eve. These days are reminders of the passage of time and of how quickly life can move and how much can change in one year.

It's a little melancholy, looking back when there have been tremendous changes or when events have come to pass that were shocking and sad. It's also joyous remembering those times I laughed until my face hurt or danced with happiness at life's miracles. It's hopeful with wishes for what the coming year may bring. And it's also a little mysterious, not knowing what has yet to be revealed. 

Even with this mix of emotions, it's comforting, this passage of time, these time stamps, these measuring sticks, appreciating that, while I may not know what will be, I also know that I will try to learn from all of it.  While I will be sad or disappointed or shocked or hurt, I will also sing and I will clap and cheer, and I will be awed with wonder at what I could not even have imagined came to pass. I will do my best to be grateful for all of it, grateful for having been a part or played a part in the lives of others, grateful for these touchpoints that make me stop, several times a year to think about what's past, and wonder at what's yet to come. 

-a 

Comments