It's never too late to be happy

People always says that it's "never too late" to do things- like it's never too late to start a new outlook on life, it's never too late to take a new direction in your career, it's never to late to start better health habits,  but it occurred to me the other day that maybe it's also never too late to be happy.

I overheard two friends talking about a couple who had filed for divorce - she is 89 and he is 87. One person said that they were surprised people that old would want to get divorced, and the other person responded, "Well, I guess it's never too late to start over." In hearing those comments I wondered to myself just how long the married couple had been in an unhappy marriage and what it was that finally caused them to make the decision to divorce now. As a divorce attorney and someone who is divorced, I know how hard it can be to come to the decision to end a marriage; but I also believe that living unhappily in a marriage is worse than being on your own. It made me sad thinking these people may have been unhappy for years, but it also gave me hope that they chose the possibility of love, no matter how late in life they made that choice.  

It was a reminder to me that we never know how much time we have, and living in a relationship that drains you more than inspires you, that brings dread instead of joy, is not the answer. There are difficulties and challenges in every relationship, but when you are with someone who makes you smile most of the time, who appreciates you and wants the best for you, is not just a good thing- it's an amazing thing. So choosing the possibility of finding that can never be wrong, and it's never to late to try. 

Lesson learned. 
- a

Comments

Post a Comment