Grace, please

 My yoga teacher was talking the other day about how none of us are perfect, but we are all trying and making effort, and for that we should give ourselves grace. It was easy to hear, but I find, not so easy to do. And I wonder why and how we can all be forgiving and kind to those around us, while listening to negative thoughts in our head about ourselves. 

It seems to me that, if we are able to see our friends and loved ones, and even strangers, doing the best they can and cheering them on, why do we have a different standard for ourselves?  Why do we think we deserve less than we give to others? Why do we demand so much of ourselves? 

So thinking about this now, and setting this in the forefront of my mind, when I find myself upset with something I did or said, I will try to respond with "Grace, please." Grace, please because I am not perfect. Grace, please because I am doing what I can. Grace, please because this is a life to be lived with trials and errors and more errors to come. Grace, please because it is what I would show to someone else, and now need to show myself. 

- a

Comments