Home sanctuary

Almost 4 years ago, I started taking a Zoom yoga class on Sunday afternoons with my long-time teacher, Thomas. Those of us in the class are from all over the country and the world: me and Greta from St. Louis, Sarah from Australia, Brittany from Kentucky, Kristy from Vermont, and the list goes on. I know these people, not because I have ever met them in person, but because I hear their names each week and see their faces on the screen. 

I don't know the age of anyone in our class, or their marital status, or if they have children. For most, I don't know what they do for a living, or if they are retired, or what their hobbies are. Every once in a while, while introducing each of us as we enter the "yoga room", Thomas will mention how he knows the person, what their job is or was; but mostly, it's his introduction of the person coming into the room from wherever they are, to weave each of us into our virtual community. 

Thomas often mentions that we are each participating in the class "from our home sanctuary"; and calling it that, "our home sanctuary" brings me a great deal of hope. Because from our home sanctuary we are able to bring peace to our bodies and our minds. From our home sanctuary we are able to send out our good wishes and good thoughts to each other, and to those around us. From our home sanctuary we are able to create a place of joy and calm, that transcends the class and into our days. 

So while we may not all be in the same place to do yoga, I believe we are all in the same space to do yoga. And by having our space be wide and far apart, it is my hope that we are creating bonds and waves between us, over our cities and states, and over our world. And perhaps, and hopefully, these bonds and waves will reach others and help them feel a coat of comfort for whatever it is they are going through. Perhaps "our home sanctuary" will provide an invisible, virtual sanctuary, to those who need it. 

-a 

Comments