It's the journey

I was thinking about my dad the other day, and something that he told me many years ago when I was going through a hard time, he said "Remember it's about the journey, not the destination." A new sentiment? Definitely not. But something I had forgotten and had, at times, lost along the way. 

I think it's natural for us to always be hopeful for what good is coming for us, for what fortune will come our way. But along the way toward those delightful circumstances, we are going to encounter some dark times. We will be sad and despondent. We will think we have lost and are lost and will never come out the other side. But by moving forward and through, those good times will appear, and the path itself will be brighter. 

Maybe making it through the sadness and difficulty, as we move along, we can see the sunshine more clearly, and appreciate the clouds moving away. Maybe those difficult times are necessary to show that the destination is not even close to what's important- it's how we got there- and what that journey revealed along the way. 

- a

Comments